LONDON — Visitors to Woburn Safari Park, a short drive north of London, are used to seeing monkeys come close to their cars, and even climb on them.
But on Tuesday morning, the park’s 14-acre jungle drive-through was closed after a fire killed all 13 inhabitants of its patas monkey house.
The blaze broke out in the early hours of Tuesday, the park said in a statement, and had enveloped the building by the time firefighters arrived. It appeared to have started in a generator, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said.
To visitors, the devastation was not immediately obvious: Only the affected section was closed, as it is routinely when, for example, fog makes it unsafe to drive on roads with roaming animals.